Thursday, 12 March 2026

12.03.26 - Naked Lunch and other things

 So I recently re-read Naked Lunch, I think I was about 15 the first (and only other) time I read it.



I got it into my head to read it again when I'd been listening to 'Outside' by David Bowie a lot for something else I was writing. The two stick together in my mind, both from initially coming across them around the same time, and for the weird sci-fi noir feel I get from both of them. Both hard to follow. Both Jazz.

I'm not sure I was any more successful at following it this time round. There's only the loosest definition of 'plot' and sometimes the sentence structure is confusing, to put it lightly. 

But then some of the language is like poetry. Ugly, discordant poetry. It's a mess of drugs, body parts and fluids. It's violent. It may lack clarity but it's full of images and feelings. In some ways it's like Ulysses but with drugs and dicks instead of classical references.

One thing I like about it is that it is so obviously dated with the slang of a 50's noir, but also still a futuristic sci-fi world that's (to my knowledge) not quite like anything else. I frequently needed to look up words and phrases to check if it was real world slang I wasn't familiar with, or new phrases invented by Burroughs.

Anyway, I will probably try reading this again in about 5 years time. And also plan to finally check out the film. 

Anyway, I've still been feeling under the weather (and there has also been Weather today, not that I've been out in it but I could certainly hear it in the night) so nothing else to report really. 

I do still have a few ferret pictures. 







At one point Misty and Zoe were cuddled up very sweetly, but in going to take a photo I woke Zoe and... well


The stinkiest of stink-eyes

Also here is a curry I had on Tuesday 



Oh! I also read this recently, as I felt I'd had a bit too much of the grim and heavy. It wasn't entirely my thing (bit too cute for me in places, but it made me laugh in others) but I'd recommend it to anything looking for some happy, queer romantasy.
Oddly enough when my kobo was trying to categorise my books, it applied the 'furry' category to 'Attack of the Moon Cows' but not this. 
Ooh look. More ferret photos!



Also read a zine - i have a stack of unread ones (of course)



And finally, here's my current reading, and some music








No comments:

Post a Comment